Sunday, April 10, 2016

Ascending

A boy I knew used to dream:
He dreamed of a life of joy.
He dreamed of changing the world.
They were good dreams.
But life happened.
Life wasn't kind.

Beaten and bruised he had fallen.
From ashes and ruin I rose.
I cried out in anguish,
Pain engulfing me as I tried to stand.
I wanted to curl up in a ball,
But instead I knelt...gathering strength.

Now my strength is gathered, it is time to stand.
No more planning, no more backing down.
I grit my teeth and fight through the pain.
Others have risen before, others will rise after,
But this is my ascension: this is my fight.
To my feet I stagger and gasp through the pain.

I am a survivor...no, I am more: I am a fighter.
As i take each step, I fight the pain.
The pain won't define me.
Life wasn't kind, but dreams don't die easily.
I will chase the boy's dreams.  I won't give up.
My strength is greater than this brokenness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment