Friday, April 22, 2011

quick like fast

So i'm down in oklahoma and I want to give everyone an update, but i'm going to try to be as quick in writing it as possible, since I'm borrowing someone's computer at the moment and he'll probably want it back as soon as he's done talking to his girlfriend on the phone.  Fortunately, she's pretty longwinded.  It's been a lot warmer down here than it is back home.  Today it was nearly 90 degrees!  It was a bit of a rough start, but I'm gaining momentum.  The dorms are basically a bunkhouse, the people are VERY rough and crass, but I definitely see a place where I can make a difference.  One of my prayers coming down here was that I could be a blessing to the people around me while I'm down here, and I definitely am feeling like that is possible.

I've found a church that I can plug into down here.  I went for the first time and had conversations with probably a dozen people who noticed that I was new and welcomed me.  Also, someone invited me over to lunch with them which was wonderful.  It was great to get away from school and hang around people that I could let my guard down and be comfortable instead of trying to be sure i was representing what i want to represent.  I'm looking forward to spending the next 3 months getting to know the people there and hopefully finding a way to get involved in their community.

Finally, the learning curve on the practical aspect of horseshoeing school has been pretty steep.  It basically felt like we were thrown at a horse and told 'now you do it.'  The first week was a bit rocky, but I'm starting to feel like I'm gaining at least some degree of proficiency.  I was smiling a lot today as I was working because I know I'm getting better and I know that I really CAN do this.  I can learn a lot, I can graduate, and I can go back to Minnesota and make a living doing it.  One of the ideas I'm throwing around is having a goal of getting my journeyman farrier certification at the end of the twelve weeks.  It would be hard to do, but not impossible.  it seems, at the very least, to be a good thing to shoot for and something to help me stay motivated.

Thank you everyone for your support and your prayers.  It really feels like God's hand has been on me and the things I'm doing down here and I KNOW it's because of all the prayer support I've been getting. Please continue praying for me, specifically that I'll be able to make some connections at Emmanuel Baptist of Purcell, find a way to serve there without compromising school, be a good influence on my fellow students and make a positive difference in their lives, and continue to be motivated and encouraged as I shoe horses.  Also, please pray that I do not injure myself or get sick.  So far, I've been very blessed and have only gotten minor scrapes and cuts.

Thanks again everyone.  I'll try to, in the near future, post some of the things I've been writing, but for now I have to go. there's a thunderstorm brewing and my computer time is up.

No comments:

Post a Comment